What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#63021 by Mark Bell
Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:38 pm
It's good to see the latest update now has the ability to reassociate 'lost' doors/windows etc. back into smart walls....an improvement that will further streamline this process:

1. The current Re-associate appears limited to a single wall at a time to reassociate 'lost' doors/windows. This will be laborious and time consuming selecting a wall then looking for the correct door/window which fits back to the location, then repeating for all other doors/windows. This probably works okay with smaller floor plans but will likely lead to errors/trial and error with large plans having a lot of doors and windows. Doors/windows that have loosened from walls aren't always seen straight away and it can be a day or more later after hours of further work that these are found.

2. The preferred method would be to have the smart walls automatically/dynamically/real-time re-associate the 'lost' doors/windows whenever a wall is moved, stretched, rotated, mirrored etc. as the inserted doors/windows should remain in the walls given they have been placed there by the user....I don't understand why there is a need to manually reinsert every door/window individually each time, (the 'smart' entities need to be smarter than they currently are),

3. Another option could be that doors/windows automatically reassociate to their component walls after a regen is executed. Not as good as #2 above, but better than the current option,

4. If this isn't possible at present, then add the ability to select the whole drawing (Area/fence/selset etc.), followed by Area/fence/selset etc. of all doors/windows to eliminate the need to individually select one door/window and wall at a time. Offices need to work efficiently to keep up with time lines so all enhancements need to offer the most efficient way of doing something to minimize the time it takes....#2 above would be ideal :D
#63025 by Mark F. Madura
Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:45 am
Hello Mark,

The reassociate command is limited to 'reconnecting' doors and windows to walls they were previously associated with. You cannot use this command to change an association.

We have prototyped dynamically updating smart walls, doors, and windows during editing operations and hope to make it available for testing in the near future.

Thank You,

MFM
#63032 by Mark Bell
Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:02 pm
Hello Mark,

Yes, I accept that Reassociate joins doors and windows back to their original walls. My post wasn't about moving them to different walls, only allowing all doors and windows to be moved back to their original walls in one command (Area, Fence etc.) rather than one item at a time. Currently a single wall is selected first, then one or more doors or windows to reassociate back to that wall, (see earlier post on bug when using Area selection). Is it possible to Area/Fence the whole drawing selecting all walls in one go, then Area/Fence all doors and windows so 'they' know which wall they came from and can go back to? I am encouraged though that you are continuing with a solution to allow them to dynamically update as walls are moved, stretched, rotated etc......now that would put a smile on my face. :D
#63071 by Mark Bell
Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:31 pm
The more I use the Sunshader the more I feel it can progress into a Sketch Renderer with sunshading abilties. It would be good to be able to drag and drop textures onto surfaces when in Sunshader. These could be:

a) Saved to a file in Sunshader so that each time Sunshader is opened, the materials previously saved reassign themselves to the entities, or

b) Saved back to the DataCAD file when exiting so they become part of each entities material properties?
#63072 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:40 pm
Mark Bell wrote:a) Saved to a file in Sunshader so that each time Sunshader is opened, the materials previously saved reassign themselves to the entities, or

b) Saved back to the DataCAD file when exiting so they become part of each entities material properties?
Nice.
#63128 by Mark Bell
Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:52 pm
HLR's or Hidden Line Removals to create 2D 'photos' of 3D models for elevations etc. are an essential tool for those investing time in creating a 3D model to extract 2D drawings. It can also be used for perspectives on cover sheets. Problems arise when the 3D model starts to include more detailed elements such as 3D landscaping and 3D vehicles which can use hundreds of mesh surfaces to define the curved nature of the object. These items show every face/polygon on the model at the end of a HLR process and can take a large amount of time to clean up so the final image looks presentable.

Wishlist - improve the HLR function to allow mesh surfaces to be hidden, ie. HLR of a car below

013014a.jpg
013014a.jpg (119.53 KiB) Viewed 11049 times
#63261 by Mark Bell
Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:38 am
I'm often having to measure areas and need to place a line(s) to denote a specific size to a room or space which defines the area. This usually takes several attempts to get closer to what the area needs to be so I can place a line or wall. What would be good is to have the measure/Area/Perimeter tool dynamically show the current area to the polyline based on the last mouse click, so as I place the next point on the polyline, the area updates based on the shape of the space I have measured so far. This way I have a real time guide to what the areas are and can fine tune where to place the wall/line much quicker. .... hope this all makes sense :)
#63262 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:01 am
Mark Bell wrote:to have the measure/Area/Perimeter tool dynamically show the current area to the polyline based on the last mouse click, so as I place the next point on the polyline, the area updates based on the shape of the space I have measured so far.
Totally get my vote. Great thinking. Wondering what other commands might benefit from this type of dynamic data at creation time? Polygons? Polylines? It's late and I don't have Datacad in front of me but worth looking into for sure.
#63263 by Mark Bell
Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:03 am
...midnight or just after....you should be counting sheep or hatch patterns or something :)
#63264 by joshhuggins
Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:25 am
I am in California, just after 10 here. Plenty of time to get into trouble ;)
#63290 by seasdes
Fri Feb 14, 2014 9:49 pm
Can we please allow the use of the Shift key when selecting text and dimensions to edit their properties. I am finding that I am forever accidentally drawing short lines when selecting text and dimensions. I have found that this accidental behaviour is because the cursor has snapped to a snap point when selecting these items.

An alternative may be to prevent DataCAD form setting points when double clicking on an object.

This request would be a huuge productivity boost for me anyway. :idea: :idea: :idea:
#63661 by Mark Bell
Sun Mar 30, 2014 5:51 pm
Wishlist - presently the smart doors/windows can be configured only to allow either a single or double door. Some of our projects (medical/hotel/restaurants etc.) require double doors with one door leaf larger than the other. Can we add this ability to allow smart doors to allow double doors with each door a different size, and allow each door leaf to have its own door swing percentage open value. Thanks.

Also, add the ability to substitute a manufacturer door frame/window frame to the smart doors/windows which can be set to display from a preset scale, ie. at say 1:100 or larger, all that's displayed are rectangles defining the jambs, then say scales below 1:100 down to say 1:20 the rectangle can reference a more accurate profile, then at scales 1:10 and smaller (suitable for detailing) reference can be made to actual manufacturer profiles. This would allow users to simple clipcube parts of a drawing, add a new layer for text/dims etc. save as a GTV and MSP it onto a detail sheet knowing the jambs will be displayed as they are specified at the detail scale but also show more accurately at various other legible scales. This 'method' would be good to implement across all the smart parametric entities. Another item to add is displaying of door handles in plan 2D view similar to what DataCAD Plus could do. Thanks.