What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#65000 by Roger D
Fri Oct 10, 2014 1:32 pm
PSymColors.png
PSymColors.png (34.67 KiB) Viewed 13441 times

You mean something like PSymColors.dmx

It should be in
C:\DataCAD 16\DCAL for Delphi\Compiled Macros
#65004 by Mark Bell
Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:43 pm
Hi Seasdes,

The fix introduced earlier in the year allows you to select a wall then reassociate 'loose' doors/windows and this has been working most of the time. There are times the door/window just won't reassociate for what ever reason.The frequency of doors/windows becoming 'loose' from walls is significantly less than X3 and happens more when entities are mirrored or a door/window is stretched in the direction of a wall or walls with doors/windows in are stretched. Another fix is to go tangents to a wall then stretch a door/window along the wall direction. We think it's something to do with the US feet/inches to metric conversion as at times a wall drawn 'straight' with ortho on, shows a slight step in the wall which indicates it is a fraction of a degree out of true alignment - enough to cause a door/window when moved/stretched along the wall (using ortho) to make it no longer truly sit in the wall. Stretching/moving with the crosshair set to tangents of the wall keeps the door/window with the cutout in place. I believe the next round of enhancements to smart entities should improve the 'smartness' of the doors and windows so they always automatically readjust to sit inside a wall once inserted.
#65005 by Mark Bell
Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:45 pm
Hello Roger,

Yes, something like your screenshot though it needs to allow a percentage density for the colors so they can print with a solid color down to a faint color which often looks better on presentation drawings.
#65006 by wvar
Fri Oct 10, 2014 7:43 pm
Thanks Mark
So, are the problems you describe with windows and doors an everyday occurence or an occasional anoyance . I am about to start a new fairly simple house and wondering whether to try the smarts again.
Walter
#65007 by Mark Bell
Fri Oct 10, 2014 8:41 pm
Hello Walter,

The problem is occasional and not an everyday issue. For most of the time DataCAD flies with the smart parametrics and it's enjoyable to work this way as it's so efficient. It becomes frustrating from time to time when you have stretched a wall and see the doors or windows that were inserted are now 'loose'. The re-associate command is a good temporary option to quickly re-fit each door/window though it only works one wall at a time. I only use smart entities for the majority of my work because it does streamline what I can achieve. For now, I have to put up with the occasional glitch when a wall may shoot off into space or doors/windows come loose from their walls. I'd certainly get into using this way of working and hopefully DC will implement an improvement in the not to distant future.
#65024 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:04 am
Very minor wish - really a suggestion:

the default Angle file should have 22d 30' (instead of 25), 135d (instead of 115), 225d (instead of 205), and 315d (instead of 295).

Could the Utility / Templates button be changed to Symbols, and open the Symbol Browser?
#65037 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:41 pm
The problem with the PSymColors.DMX is that you have to have placed the symbols in the drawing. To make it easier / quicker to use, it would be better if we could use it on all the symbols in a folder without having to insert them into the drawing.
#65039 by David A. Giesselman
Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:28 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:... the default Angle file should have 22d 30' (instead of 25), 135d (instead of 115), 225d (instead of 205), and 315d (instead of 295).

Ya know, you can easily edit this from within DataCAD and save it back out dcadwin.ang.

Dave
#65046 by Roger D
Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:20 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:The problem with the PSymColors.DMX is that you have to have placed the symbols in the drawing. To make it easier / quicker to use, it would be better if we could use it on all the symbols in a folder without having to insert them into the drawing.

If someone could update the Template Manager macro (TMPL_MGR.dcx) ver 1.0 that was published by Command Performance, that would do the trick. You map the colors and it writes new symbols and template.
#65067 by David A. Giesselman
Fri Oct 17, 2014 11:30 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:When I Alt-i on a regular text entity that is at a 90 degree angle, and I then use my Alt-t shortcut (which goes to ParaText) the angle is not changed to 90 degrees.

The angles for regular text vs PText/MText are separate drawing level variables.

Dave