Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#24933 by MtnArch
Sun Jun 03, 2007 10:59 am
I don't believe that anything exports to PaperSpace - everything goes to ModelSpace.
#24963 by Giuseppe Barberio
Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:29 pm
Thanks for the info MtnArch. I'll have to play around with it some more. I thought that each MSP detail would become its own symbol or block when exported to Autocad.

I tried exporting a MSP sheet which had my title block as one detail, 12" scale, and another detail at two different scales.

What should I see in Autocad?

Is there a step by step tutorial on how to export MSP anywhere?

Thanks for the help. Have really been enjoying trying out V12. Great work to everyone at DataCad.
#24976 by Neil Blanchard
Mon Jun 04, 2007 3:37 pm
Hello Giuseppe,

Each detail should become a symbol, and these will show in the DWG, in Model Space. Some may be enlarged (or shrunken) so they are WYSIWYG, and the main scale is 1:1.
#24981 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 04, 2007 5:14 pm
I still don't use MSP (I wish I did, it's out of my hands at this point) but what a great new freedom for those of you who do use it. This new export support sounds great for you guys.
#24985 by Giuseppe Barberio
Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:24 pm
Hey Josh,

Yeah, I have been using MSP since it was introduced back in version-7, I believe. Its a great time saver. The added bonus with MSP and Clip cubes in V-12 is that I can have enlarged scale clip cubes of my plans with the ability to have text outside of the clip cube. Previously had to self X-ref each instance of enlarged plans to get the same affect. I than save each as a gotoview and Multi-Scale it right upto the desired plot scale.

May I ask why you haven't been able to use MSP?

Giuseppe
#24987 by joshhuggins
Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:55 pm
Main reasons now are in house standards, that no one wants to give the time to change because the few things we do at a different scale are few and far between and the second is there doesn't seem to be a way to mix the order of MSP & GTV's when batch plotting. But fear of the time cost of change is the main issue.
#24989 by MtnArch
Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:58 am
Guiseppe -

What are the advantages of MSP's over just using Xref's now?

I'm truly curious, since Neil's a die-hard MSP fan - but I come from the Acad Xref camp. I'm not trying to start a flame war (or which is better than the other) - just trying to understand the beauty of one over the other.
#24993 by Ernest Burden III
Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:04 am
Since I don't create traditional architectural sheets I don't use the MSP at all. For me, the importing of a paperspace layout to something in DC12 would be most welcome. I always have to open client's drawings in an Autocad product to see how they laid it out.
#25002 by MtnArch
Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:06 am
Neil -

When do you use an MSP instead of an Xref?
#25009 by Michael Olney
Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:30 am
I like using MSP when possible because Xrefs take so much longer to print (especially if a lot of hatching is used).
#25012 by Giuseppe Barberio
Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:43 pm
Hi MtnArch,

A good example of when I might use MSP over X-Ref is on small residential projects.

By the way I also use X-Refs to a great degree. X-Refs work just as well and in various ways can accomplish the same things that MSP can.

But as far as MSP is concerned I usually use them in the following manner using the example of a small 2 or 3 story house project.

1) All documents are in one file. (Floor plans, Sections, Elevations, etc.)
2) Set up GotoView for each main plan or detail. Views consist of each plan from foundation to roof as well as each elevation, section, and detail.
(Important note I always stack my plans one over the other. I find Autocad users don't always do this. In Datacad, views make it easier to work this way.)
3) With each GotoView setup I can then place each plan, on a MSP sheet to whatever scale I want.

This is just one way of using MSP efficiently without multiple X-Ref files. I find it works well for me. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Giuseppe
#25014 by MtnArch
Tue Jun 05, 2007 2:03 pm
Hi, Guiseppe -

I agree that most (not all - I'm the exception :wink: ) Acad users muck the files up royal!

Thanks for the explanation of how you use the MSP's - it makes more sense now of why you do it.

Thanks!