Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#32472 by Michael Olney
Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:52 pm
Ben at TJB Architects wrote:When has DataCAD EVER hit a target date for a release?
I mean, come on, we've been waiting for two months for the update that will fix the StackFrac problem that was introduced in the last update...and has been well documented on this Forum.
Roughly 18 months?...where is that number coming from?
It was at least three years (or longer?) from 11 to 12.

I was thinking about that, too. Since the article came after v12 was released, I'm assuming that the 18 months was when they were hoping to release v13? at the time of the interview. I wouldn't be surprised at all if it ends up being a little longer than that for the next full release.

Ben at TJB Architects wrote:...and I don't give a flip about Smart Roofs in the next update.
Please just enhance (fix) Walls cleanup, add more line support, add varying z-heights, and add auto hatching and SPB-fill.
Enhance Smart Doors & Windows with all the stuff that has already been listed elsewhere.

I completely agree with this. Smart Roofs would be nice, however, I'm getting along fine modeling 3D roof without them. Better smart wall cleanup with auto hatching is much more important to me and door/window enhancements is a close second (for smart entities).
#32476 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:14 pm
Hello,

Smart roofs are for more than 3D renderings: along with smart floors, they would make sections and elevations much more possible. This for me, is the "Holy Grail" of smart entities: they will generate and help coordinate other parts of the construction drawings.

Let's admit it: we want it all! Smart-everything! :twisted:
#32478 by Michael Olney
Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:59 pm
Neil Blanchard wrote:Let's admit it: we want it all! Smart-everything!

I admit it. However, I still say that smart roof are not as important to me than improvements to smart walls, doors, and windows. I currently create my roof in 3D and generate my 2D elevations from that (using HLR, cleaning up lines, and adding hatch). It would be very nice to have 2D elevations created automatically, however, as I mentioned before, improvements to our current walls, doors, and windows are just more important to me at this time.
#32483 by spinfox
Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:06 pm
Hi, I would like to see the title of DATACAD 2010, I rode an article that said datacad its a unique program, that is not a 3dparametricsobject cad, like Archicad, and not 2D only cad, its an hybrid. but specially fast in 2d document generator. alone in the market :O

but, dont forget the Datacad strenght, is to Draw ala Architect style, like in the drawing table, it will be nice to see any improved 3d tools, but dont forget to improve 2D tools too.

It will be cool, to see the Reposetery, with a lot of o2c objects, ready to render objects, symbols, hatch, and all the items that the architects need, to do great presentations....

what do you think?
#32488 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:16 am
Michael Olney wrote:
Neil Blanchard wrote:Let's admit it: we want it all! Smart-everything!

I admit it. However, I still say that smart roof are not as important to me than improvements to smart walls, doors, and windows. I currently create my roof in 3D and generate my 2D elevations from that (using HLR, cleaning up lines, and adding hatch). It would be very nice to have 2D elevations created automatically, however, as I mentioned before, improvements to our current walls, doors, and windows are just more important to me at this time.

I'm too admiting that the best of the worlds would be to have available smartness in everything. But Michael is right when he sustains that we have prioritary items, before others.
We should clean up our kitchen before going to living room and watch Super Bowl. Among things to be enhanced would be the curved walls and the ability to insert openings on this kind of walls. Curved head openings and sidelites doors would be a must for ten among ten.

My two cents.
Miguel
#32499 by Ben at TJB Architects
Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:29 am
Yeah, read that this morning...
...if those are the top highlights than those of that listed wishes under this topic will be disappointed.
They're nice enhancements, though.

The collaboration with SketchUp, however, is going to be fantastic.
If you aren't aware, there are literally thousands of 3D models available on the internet for SketchUp.

Check out Sweets link below:
http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/cldetails?mid=c39084de896518af99d628301e4a3a
#40341 by Giuseppe Barberio
Fri Nov 07, 2008 8:28 pm
Anyone have any pointers on how best to create solid wall fills or hatch patterns with smartwalls. Was this feature added in the last update?

Thanks,

Giuseppe
#40342 by Roger D
Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:53 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Anyone have any pointers on how best to create solid wall fills or hatch patterns with smartwalls. Was this feature added in the last update?

Not added yet that I know of.
Take you smart wall layers, go to tools/extact 2d/3d.
Extract the 2d items, it will create new layers with a 2d copy of the walls.
Then you can fill these areas by contour like you use to.
If you have smart walls with more than 2 lines, and want to only fill from inside to outside, having the interior lines a unique color so you can erase by area with a mask setting on helps.
Sounds like a few steps, but it generally goes fast, only a minute or two to complete.
#40677 by Clayton Taylor
Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:21 am
Just read the new Cheap Tricks issue.
I like the DataCAD X3 badge for the next major release, however I didn't find much with regard to items 1 to 4 below. I think view dependant symbols & something about text were mentioned & more about training.

The symbols idea is fine, but I'd like to see some talk on where DC is with items 1, 3, & 4 in that order first, especially for a major release. Smart roofs with closing walls to underside would be more of a major release in my eye's, more so with all this talk about BIM.

On the training side, well perhaps DC HQ could spur us all on a bit & dust down those viewlet online movies by adding smart walls etc. Yep, said this many times before I know, perhaps the DC gurus could spare some time on this, U-tube is a thought, you'd even get some free advertising at the same time.

Over & out,

Clayton.

Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Anyone know what new features the next release will have?

Looking forward to:
1) Smart walls that can adjust themselves to underside of roof lines (such as at a gabel end wall).
2) Smart text Arrows.
3) New Smart tools for stairs, roofs, creating niches or extrusions in walls, Windows with Arch tops, etc.
4) Being able to Hatch or Solid fill Smart Walls

Hope to see these items added soon. I am sure these are all on the wish list already.

Giuseppe
#40681 by Michael Olney
Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:37 pm
In this issue of Cheap Tricks (December 2008), Evan Shu seems to mention a hatch or fill for smart walls (item number 4). It's in the "DataCAD X3: View Dependency" section towards the end of the 6th paragraph of that section.
#40715 by Giuseppe Barberio
Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:04 pm
Glad to see hatch for smart walls being added. The scale dependant symbols sound very interesting also.
#40903 by JustPlainTom
Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:17 pm
Again. Could we please, PLEASE get a "previous entities" command? After selecting multiple objects we often want to execute another command utilizing all, or most, of the previous group of entities. Having "previous" as a choice would greatly increase our productivity.

I've been told I can just create a selection set, which is fine for a group of entities you know you'll be working with as a group for a while, but for groups of entities just picked during the normal course of working, this isn't very efficient. That's where a "previous entities" selection really shines and it would be something we'd use dozens of times a day where selection sets is something we never really use.

Please?
#41239 by Giuseppe Barberio
Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:09 pm
Looking forward to:
1) Smart walls that can adjust themselves to underside of roof lines (such as at a gabel end wall).
2) Smart text Arrows.
3) New Smart tools for stairs, roofs, creating niches or extrusions in walls, Windows with Arch tops, etc.
4) Being able to Hatch or Solid fill Smart Walls

Out of the List of added features for the next release that I had posted, I am really finding that (item#3) wall niches, extrusions and ability to have arched windows, have really been a challenge to say the least. I hope this will be part of the next release.

I already am hearing good things about item #4 being added. I hope to hear more soon about the next new release.

Sincerely,

Giuseppe
#41249 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:19 am
I've just ellected my #1 priority for new DataCAD enhancements, if we would be compelled to choose among several items on a list:

Take-off for everything which is measurable inside the drawing.

This very subject can become the trully first link among DataCAD and the exterior world.

Smart entities are now stable and pregnant of informations which will be highly useful for feeding several other applications around the building project.
Architectural design is the real kick-off for a world of endeavors.

Thanks,
Miguel