Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#33991 by john t
Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:27 pm
I have a problem with all the folders I have duplicated and are present in the symbol browser. How do I remove much of what is there without removing these items from the hard drive; and is it possible to move folders on the Browser, to group them so they may be more readily found? This has been a great source of annoyance to me for years. ploughing through duplicated files, and unrelated folders, I think everything on my harddrive must be there!!
#33992 by Ben at TJB Architects
Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:42 pm
You can easily rearrange your folders to meet your needs or to just make more sense...that's one of the beauties of it.
You couldn't do that (with ease) with the old Template file method.

For example:
We have a Volume on our server called Template.
Under that is a folder called Symbols (for DataCAD)...
And then Design, Floor Plans, Elevations, Foundations, etc.
But it's really all just a matter of personal preference as to the layout.

The Symbol Browser will automatically pick up on your changes.
So, just start moving your DSF files to Folders that make you happy...delete the ones you don't want...copy ones you need in more than one location, etc.
#33994 by Nick Pyner
Fri Mar 14, 2008 3:36 am
john t wrote:How do I remove much of what is there without removing these items from the hard drive; and is it possible to move folders on the Browser, to group them so they may be more readily found? This has been a great source of annoyance to me for years. ploughing through duplicated files, and unrelated folders, I think everything on my harddrive must be there!!

The symbols are just files, like any bother. Under symbols, make two new folders called Mystuff and theirstuff. Move what you need to Mystuff and what you don't to theirstuff. It really is that easy. When you select from the browser, it takes you to the path last used, which, once used once, will be under mystuff. You can do this in stages, mainly by eliminating from Mystuff.