Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#32323 by Giuseppe Barberio
Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:52 pm
Anyone know what new features the next release will have?

Looking forward to:
1) Smart walls that can adjust themselves to underside of roof lines (such as at a gabel end wall).
2) Smart text Arrows.
3) New Smart tools for stairs, roofs, creating niches or extrusions in walls, Windows with Arch tops, etc.
4) Being able to Hatch or Solid fill Smart Walls

Hope to see these items added soon. I am sure these are all on the wish list already.

Giuseppe
#32342 by Dick Eades
Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:16 pm
I'd take smart text arrows over any of the others mentioned.
#32355 by Giuseppe Barberio
Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:43 pm
I forgot to add:

1 Clip Cubes that can ignore any entity so that they are visable outside the extents of the clip boundary. Currently only text can ignore clip cube boundaries. This would be a great help on the 2D drafting end.

2. On the 3D side I would love to be able to take a rendered section view through 3D models. This would be great for creating those rendered section views with shadowing.

Hope to hear more about what the next update has in store for us.

Giuseppe
#32384 by joshhuggins
Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:59 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Hope to hear more about what the next update has in store for us.
Good things Giuseppe, good things. :wink:
#32392 by Giuseppe Barberio
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:26 pm
Hey Josh,

Yes, I have been very happy to see all the great things we already got. I know the folks at DataCad are hard at work.

Giuseppe
#32394 by Ben at TJB Architects
Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:33 pm
I just wish we were getting to Beta test the new stuff before release... :roll:
#32407 by Giuseppe Barberio
Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:43 pm
I know its always top secret and we rarely ever hear what the next update or release will bring. I wonder if the next update is a free update with new new features added or if it will be a paid upgrade version with new features.

Hope to hear something soon.

Giuseppe
#32440 by csmckillip
Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:13 pm
I have never paid for a Software Upgrade in the same Version Number, I would doubt this will ever happen with Datacad.
#32444 by joshhuggins
Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:00 pm
csmckillip wrote:I have never paid for a Software Upgrade in the same Version Number, I would doubt this will ever happen with Datacad.
Wellllllllllll, there was v8.5 that I think was a paid upgrade, but hopefully it will stick to normal version releases from here on out. I wonder if they are going to release the next majr upgrade as version 13 or skip it for superstitious buyers.
#32445 by Giuseppe Barberio
Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:38 pm
Is DataCad even close to a new release? It seems more likely that some final bug issues and possibly a few more new features would be issued as a free update to version 12 before the next full release version.

Version 12 should at least have smart windows with arched tops and some resolution to triming walls to underside of roof or floor slabs. Also, a few more smart objects such as stair and roof components should be a part of V12. It just seems that V12 was released with the minimum toolset so that we could have it, learn it, and use it at its most basic level. I totaly agree with DataCad releasing 12 as is and getting it to us sooner than later.

Whenever version 13 (or maybe 14 for those who are supersticious) is released there should be, like every other major release, a major advancement or even change. I see major changes in the way 3D editing would be done that would allow us to view and easily edit 3d models similar to how sketch up works.

Looking forward to the next evolution.

Giuseppe
#32446 by Neil Blanchard
Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:11 pm
Hello,

They are working on v12.05, and we saw a version at the January DBUG meeting; the one at Milford High School. There are a couple of new features, as well as bug fixes. It will be a free upgrade. I would expect it very soon -- maybe in a few days, or maybe a week or two?
#32447 by csmckillip
Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:55 pm
joshhuggins wrote:
csmckillip wrote:I have never paid for a Software Upgrade in the same Version Number, I would doubt this will ever happen with Datacad.
Wellllllllllll, there was v8.5 that I think was a paid upgrade, but hopefully it will stick to normal version releases from here on out. I wonder if they are going to release the next majr upgrade as version 13 or skip it for superstitious buyers.

Yea, but do you recall the 6, 7, 8 upgrade, or something like that. One price got you thru three different upgrades. Datacad is now in my eyes giving the consumer what they are asking for, a program that is free of bugs, with updates.

I remember when I was using ver 5 or 6, DOS Program, DOS Drivers for video card and external printer drivers that could setup mutiple plots to a daisey chain printer- It was an Epson 330- Still have it in the garage. The program has come a long way, and I expect Datacad to update us till they ask for more money, then I will upgrade.

I am in an office with 30+ employee's that use Autocad, I am the only black sheep in the crowd.

I like different

FYI - I started using Datacad when I was around 19, I am now 36. It doesn't feel that long.
#32458 by joshhuggins
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:30 am
Giuseppe Barberio wrote:Is DataCad even close to a new release?
I don't think so. I was just rattling around about the next version's naming since we were talking about different past versions.
#32463 by Michael Olney
Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:43 am
While, I haven't heard anything official, I'm sure that the next full release (I like 13) is in development. In "Q&A With Mark Madura of DataCAD" by upFront.eZine in issue #536 ( http://www.upfrontezine.com/2007/upf-536.htm ), released on November 6, 2007 (after DataCAD 12 was released), it says, "new releases ship roughly every 18 months."

DataCAD 12 was released in June 2007, so 18 months from that would be December 2008. Again, I don't have any inside information for this at all, it's just logical thinking. My guess is that December 2008-January 2009 was when they might have been hoping to release the next full version, however, that could very likely change if they feel that it's not ready for that date.

At the very least, they have probably been deciding what new features can be put into a free v12 update and what features will have to wait for the next full release. If I remember correctly, about the time that v12 was released, they had mentioned about having smart wall enhancements and smart roofs as a free update to v12, however, it wouldn't surprise me if some of these things are taking longer than originally anticipated to get working correctly and maybe some of them will have to wait until the next full release.
#32470 by Ben at TJB Architects
Thu Jan 31, 2008 12:23 pm
I use DataCAD everyday and have for 14 years...so there is no malice intended when I sincerely ask the following question.

When has DataCAD EVER hit a target date for a release?
I mean, come on, we've been waiting for two months for the update that will fix the StackFrac problem that was introduced in the last update...and has been well documented on this Forum.
Roughly 18 months?...where is that number coming from?
It was at least three years (or longer?) from 11 to 12.

...and I don't give a flip about Smart Roofs in the next update.
Please just enhance (fix) Walls cleanup, add more line support, add varying z-heights, and add auto hatching and SPB-fill.
Enhance Smart Doors & Windows with all the stuff that has already been listed elsewhere.
And those freaking Smart Arrows.
OK, blood sugar dropping...must...eat...