Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#64623 by fsoliver
Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:54 pm
I made a gambrel roof with polygon end walls and would like to put a door in the roof endwall. The end walls are polygons and will not accept smart doors. What is the best way to accomplish getting a smart door into this wall? Do I need to create another type wall? Explode the polygons? Just not sure how to do this.
#64624 by joshhuggins
Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:12 pm
Haven't ever tried this but I would try to do a smart wall as tall as up to the start of the gambrel inclines, and see if the smart door will insert (not sure if it will if the smart wall is shorter than the door). Then position your polygon gambrel shape above the smart wall and door.
#64625 by Mark Toce
Fri Jul 25, 2014 3:38 pm
fsoliver wrote:I made a gambrel roof with polygon end walls and would like to put a door in the roof endwall. The end walls are polygons and will not accept smart doors. What is the best way to accomplish getting a smart door into this wall? Do I need to create another type wall? Explode the polygons? Just not sure how to do this.

Smart doors and windows do not have the ability to automatically cut voids in polygons, so you'll need to turn "CutWall" off when creating the smart door.

You'll also need to manually create polygon voids in the polygon walls. That is just a matter of creating a polygon where you want the opening, and then using the "Voids" sub-menu of the 3D Polygon menu to add them as voids in the wall polygons.