Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#65068 by dennisnorton
Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:10 am
Does anyone have recommendations for setting up standardized files/locations for symbols, line types, etc. I have several cad drafters that I sub work to and need to have a simple way of insuring that all users incorporate the correct files in their drawings.

Also, when there are updates, is it recommended to overwrite the existing symbols, etc. with the new ones? (Is compatibility with earlier versions assumed?)

Thank you for any suggestions.
#65069 by jimgoodman
Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:02 am
We have been keeping all the default, support files, and symbols in shared Dropbox folders for 2 years now and it works great!

We also keep all of our project files on Dropbox folders.You do have to make sure that you keep track of who has what files open, because the *.u$r doesn't notify another remote user that the file is open. That is easliy done by checking the directory listing using Windows Explorer.

The biggest issue with Dropbox is that everything needs to be in the root Dropbox folder which cannot be renamed. There are ways to manage this as described in other posts on this forum.
There are numerous advantages to using Dropbox, especially if you use paid version, such as unlimited version history, etc.

Also, Outlook pst files do not play well on Dropbox.

Sounds like an article for a future edition of Cheap Tricks :roll:
#65070 by dennisnorton
Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:11 am
Thanks for your insight. When new versions come out, do you normally overwrite the existing symbols, etc? Or do you create a new library for each datacad version?

As for Dropbox - I had a very bad experience with them once, so I don't use them anymore. However, I now use my own network drive that I can share with others via the internet. I will try setting up the standards there.
#65071 by jimgoodman
Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:20 am
Generally, the symbols are the same in each release version unless DataCAD LLC specifically announces a group of new symbols like they did when the 2d/3d view dependent feature was added several versions ago.

I understand the issues and drama associated with Dropbox and agree that It's best if you can manage your own network drives using a VPN or something similar. It's easier for me to manage Dropbox than managing my own networks however.
#65072 by Roger D
Sat Oct 18, 2014 11:32 am
Since new symbols are not released, I have kept mine in the past C:\Dcad directory from years ago. This way pathing issues with templates don't occur.
#65077 by dennisnorton
Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:51 am
I have created many materials, door types, window types, etc.

It appears that the new releases copy/merge these with the updated version of datacad. If that is the case, I will keep the files in the standard location. I installed v17 over the weekend and was in the process of copying my symbols, etc. to the new version, and noticed that the installer had done that for me... - wonderful. Does it also merge the other support files?

I did notice that it didn't copy my site.scl file.

By the way - I recommend that datacad have a site.scl as part of its basic scales. I have scales defined from full to 1:1000. (I do lots of site studies, architectural site plans, etc. so numerous scales are needed.)