Ever wanted to know how to perform a specific operation? Ask the experts.
#55930 by dcbroadstone
Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:37 pm
I am working in DataCad 10 on a network. All of the data is stored on my computer and the other computer has access to all of my templates. I have no problem when making a template on my computer (it shows up on both computers when template is viewed) but if the other computer makes a template it does not show up on my computer (only the other one sees it). I have always just rememdied this problem by making all the templates/symbols on my computer but now my boss wants to be able to do on his computer (the other computer). Can anyone help me?
#55931 by Nick Pyner
Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:27 pm
You don't say what you can see but I guess there are two possibilities.

1. Your boss is not putting the template he has made in the right place. This would not be surprising.

2. Your boss is putting it in the right place as far as his computer is concerned but your computer cannot see it. This is a simply a file sharing issue and nothing to do with DataCad.

You don't say if you can see any of his other templates, or even if he has any. I understand that you have never before had the need to look. If you can, possibility #1 is the most likely. Further, I believe "the right place" is probably your computer, which would immediately solve your problem. In other words, your problem has everything to do with network administration, and nothing to do with DataCad.

I believe V10 was the last to use templates. With later versions, the template system has been made more or less redundant by the symbol browser. While the later versions are probably not entirely boss-proof, this is exactly the arena where your boss is less likely to cause a problem, and upgrading would be a really good idea.
Last edited by Nick Pyner on Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#55932 by Neil Blanchard
Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:07 pm
You have to have the Templates pathed correctly, and you have to have the same path (i.e. drive letter) on all the computers. Your computer needs to be networked to the drive where the templates are exactly the same way the other two computers are.

Edited the paths in the templates can be done, but you have to have the network set up right before it will work.

I highly recommend upgrading to v14 if only to get the Symbol Browser, which fixes this by not using templates, and just viewing the symbols directly. It alone would be worth the cost, and there are many many new and useful tools you would get upgrading from v10 to v14.