Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#63853 by beneastman
Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:58 am
Data Cad Pro V14.03.02.08 (PE)
Windows 7 Professional
Version 6.1.7601 Service pack 1 build 7601

Possibly have a corrupt file. This is the common scenario: Im working in the drawing / I do a standard plot/print set up (eg no multi layouts etc) / I return to the drawing after a plot preview / When I use "go to view" the file crashes. It is always when I use "go to view". Happens only on two files (so far) that I had open the day it all started. Also there are no ARF files, ARB, DRF etc created. So can't seem to rescue drawing file. I CAN open the file again, it just crashes after I follow that routine. Otherwise when I work in the drawing it behaves. I have done a layer set and loaded into a fresh drawing file. Something comes along with it because same thing happens: plot setup / return to file / go to view / crash. Currently I am doing another layer set and not including the views and will see what happens. Thought maybe it had to do with print driver, or datacad. Both driver and datacad work fine otherwise. Still wondering if I should re-install datacad and/or print driver.

Thanks for any insights. I really appreciate it.

Ben Eastman
#63854 by beneastman
Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:43 pm
YESSS!!! Fixed it! Rather I should say that a co-worker pointed me in the right direction and then I narrowed it down to the problem. I owe her a bottle of her favorite wine! Thanks to anyone who might have been looking into this for me.
#63855 by MtnArch
Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:04 pm
Please share what the solution was - that way we all learn!
#63857 by beneastman
Thu Apr 24, 2014 4:49 pm
Alan

Turns out the actual source of the file crash was a corrupt entity on a single layer. Here is how we identified the problem. My co-worker and I brainstormed and she suggested that I export the file to a .DWG file. I began by attempting to export "all layers" but the file crashed. I decided to try exporting a layer at a time, at least to save crucial elements of my work. The export of a single layer worked. This led me to believe the problem might be something residing on one layer. After trial and error I isolated one layer that would repeatedly cause a crash when attempting to export. It happened to be the dimension layer. I turned off that layer and did an export of the remaining "on" layers. The export worked. I almost decided to delete the entire layer but I didn't want to re-dimension the whole project. Here is where it gets high tech. I stared hard at the screen to see if there was anything that looked funny (besides me looking bug-eyed.) By pure chance I saw what appeared to be two tick marks with nothing in between. I deleted it. For whatever reason that solved the entire problem of the file crashing. At that point I went through all the scenarios I described in my first post and all worked fine.

I am still not sure why ARF/ARB files were not generated when the file crashed.
#63858 by joshhuggins
Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:10 pm
Those files are only created I think during autosaves.
#63860 by REX PEET
Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:09 pm
The two tick marks with a missing dimension number are interesting.

If there is a dimensioned entity, say a line, and the line is negatively stretched (ie. shrunk) to the extent that the dimension number no longer has space to be placed between the tick marks, the dimension number seems to fly off into hyper space. If you then click extents, you work appears as one tiny dot, with the rest of the screen appearing seemingly blank. I have always gotten around this problem by performing an undo immediately after the negative stretch and deleting that dimension.

This could possibly be a bug that has been lurking within Datacad for many, many versions. If you have to manually place the dimension number, the problem does not occur.