Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64314 by Richard Mauser
Tue Jun 17, 2014 2:43 pm
Hi all,

Does anyone have any insight on this? I'm using DataCAD version 14.3.2.8
I am having a problem with one file (the one I'm working on, natch!), with the isometric and elevation views, but no problem with plan, axonometric and perspective views. The problem is that nothing shows in the iso and elev views. When I press the 'extents' button in those views, i get the "invalid view window" message, which says that nothing is there. I opened up some other recent files, and the views work fine in them.
I considered saving each layer via layrutil, but that isn't there anymore (is it?). What should I do to fix this file?
--
Richard Mauser
#64316 by jimgoodman
Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:50 pm
1. Check to make sure you don't have a clip cube set for the parallel views.
OR
1. As Josh suggested, there is an entity(s) with a rogue z height.
Turn off all layers and then turn them back on, one at a time, and try the isometric/elevation views until you find the main subject of your file. Save the go to view and then keep turning on layers and resetting the extents until you get the invalid view window message. That will tell you which layer has the rogue entity which can then be adjusted to the correct z height.
#64317 by Richard Mauser
Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:13 pm
Thanks guys.
I thought it might have been a layer I was making a 3 D model in. So I drew a long line on that layer (don't ask why - no good reason) and then deleted all of the objects except for that line. Layer manager said that there was 2 things left on that layer. I would think that the line would only be one item, and blank layers have 0 items, so WTH was that unaccounted for item?

Anyway, I solved the problem. Under the layer command, I saved every friggin layer, and then loaded them into a new drawing, replacing each new, empty layer as I went. I suppose, in hindsight, that if I used LyrSets, it would have automated the process for all layers? So it is solved. The evil entity is banished. Or is it lurking somewhere on my hard drive?????

--
Richard
#64318 by joshhuggins
Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:15 pm
Another way I have cleaned up a lost entity is to turn all layers on, cut or copy everything I know within the "normal" drawing area to the clipboard. Then start the erase command, and then use Ctrl+A (Select All on my system, don't remember if that is a default or not) to erase the lost entity. Then I paste everything back into the drawing using absolute zero and original layers. Probably a good idea to do a file purge after that.