Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64793 by Richard Mauser
Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:36 pm
Hi guise,
I obviously did something wrong. Very wrong. And now I'm being punished for it.
I'm hoping it's unrelated to adding "Dropbox", but it's probably not that easy.
When I open the last file I was working on and try to change what layers are active, or click on 'extents', I get "Fault 10: error from: 74" and get crashed out of the file. (Whew! Hey wait -- I need to edit that file!)
It seems to be one particular layer ( note to self: interior elevations).
If I try to save the layer, it crashes. (note to self: nuts!)
If I open the file and try to activate that layer, kaput!
If I try to exporet the file as DWG or DXF, kaput!
I tried File / Purge. No affect. Still crashes.
Actually, it's kind of crashy no matter what I do.
If I try to erase or delete the perfidious layer, it crashes.
Is this my fault? Somebody elses? Any idea how to fix it?
#64796 by REX PEET
Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:15 am
The quickest and easiest way is to send the file to tech support and ask them to please fix it. If you have a subscription of Datacad, this service is free, otherwise there is a charge of about $50. This might be a good time to upgrade.
#64918 by Richard Mauser
Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:13 pm
Well, it has been a while, so I thought I should put a bookend on this thread.
Only one layer was funky, so I deleted the layer and loaded in that layer which I had previously saved(!).
One can never back up enough, unless we're talking about cars, in which case there's potential liability.

I'm looking forward to upgrading. Mark has promised to look into a feature dear to my heart -- the ability to make the output shapes from SteelPro into polylines automatically. Plus I'd like to see editable output format for area & perimeter calculations.

Josh, thanks for your always helpful comments.
Question: why delete the temp files before reopening a crashed file? And would I do that through a utility such as 'TempFileCleaner' or another method?
#64919 by joshhuggins
Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:49 pm
If the first time you open a file after a crash, if the file doesn't open or properly recover it's self or the file is still having issues, and you can't progress forward with trying to either to purge the file or you keep getting errors, deleting (or moving to another location) the contents of the Datacad\Temporary Files\ folder might remove a temporary (swap) file or other file that maybe being referenced and read from that may also contain bad information. It's kind of a last thing to try before sending off a file to tech support. Once all your files are back on the road working as they should, with Datacad closed, it's a good idea to delete anything that is left in that folder to make sure no old junk files maybe cluttering up things or cause issues in the future.