Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#64628 by Ted B
Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:03 pm
This may sound naïve, but I have a client that we do several dozen roof-mounted Photovoltaic array projects a year with. He and I have Both been under-pressure from his 3rd-party financing company to further streamline our deliverables-schedule in terms of calendar days.

I've been using Sketchup Pro 6 for years for building massing and modeling, then importing 2D .dwgs into Datacad X-13 for documentation and detailing. I use Sketchup rather than Datacad for all 3D work, and document exclusively in 2D in Datacad as 2D, no smartwalls.

Our typical work-flow for these PV Panel jobs have been taking his field-rep's dimensions and photos, along with data and pictures gathered from Google-Earth, Google-Maps and Bing-Maps to first create a Sketchup model of the home, then use Sketchup to work-out the PV panel layout. Once we have the panel-count and layout approved using .pdf image-files and e-mails back-n-forth; I've been 2D .dwg-exporting the roof plan, flat-on front-side-rear elevations, and roof-plane 2d-views taken perpendicular the roof areas where the PV panels arrays go to file. Then in Datacad using .dwg re-importing them one-by-one to my Datacad file for that residence to create the construction documents. I've been bootstrapping the CAD files by opening and renaming the previous residence that used that particular make and model PV Panels using that re-copied file as a template and master to save time and to keep the overall submittal packets as uniform as practical for content, look and documentation. With the old individual drawing-components moved out of the drawing-sheet's boundaries, I can re-use many of the notes and layers and linetype spacing, and color settings. ( [Identify - MatchAll ] is your friend.)

I having trouble understanding from the various comments and highlights if using Sketchup 2014 and Datacad v.16 would allow me open-access and interoperability between the two files, thus speeding-up the documentation process rather than all my cut-past and 'matching properties'. I'd like to be able to use Sketchup and Datacad simultaneously to generate the conceptual model and the layout within the overall framework of the Datacad construction documentation. Rather than the current bifurcated process where I almost have to start-over again in Datacad to do the approved construction documents.

Or, would I be better-off doing the documentation entirely in Sketchup Pro 2014 using "Layout"?
Your thoughts and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Using a typical HP Pavilion desktop PC and Windows 8.1; Datacad X-13; and Sketchup Pro version-6 with Layout.
I also have a separate copy of Sketch v.8 that I can use, then save-to-ver.6 for export 2D .dwg-files using ver.6 as-needed.
#64635 by melina
Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:54 pm
DCAD16 supports read & write with SU8 and there is currently an effort going on to include read & write with SU2013 & SU2014 with the next update. (DCAD13 supports reading of SU8 and writes SU6 directly, if memory serves).

Of course, the translation to DCAD is in polygons with all these versions/variations as Sketchup is a 3d modeling program. Whether left in the 3d format then noted for condocs, or creating 2d images using the Hide function first, is up to you. Translation through the dwg format doesn't seem necessary.

Whether you use Layout or not is up to you. It certainly is a handy add-on to Sketchup, but it seems that whatever route you choose, there will have to be some development of standards/templates/etc. Personally, I have way too much invested in DCAD to consider doing condocs in Layout (presentation sketches are about it for me) or any other program. If this situation is only for this one client and only this type of project, it might be worth the time/$$$ to set that up. If you may use the details for other things...well, you get the idea. And if you are considering upgrading to DCAD16 anyway, it may be worth seeing what the latest versions of each program offers you, which includes improved translating.