Post off topic threads here.
#63270 by jimgoodman
Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:40 am
Over on the DBUG e-mail list, a discussion about Kendrick Bangs Kellogg led to a suggestion by James Horecka and I that we should get together at the Chart House Restaurant in Dana Point for Happy Hour to experience one of KBK's buildings and discuss all things DataCAD. This idea seems to be gaining momentum and would like to get a head count so I can alert the Chart House.

To start the discussion, how does March 19, 2014 at around 4:00 or so work?

I think us left coast natives could probably scare up a free cocktail for the person who travels the farthest to attend.
#63749 by jimgoodman
Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:25 am
Well, for reasons that are not entirely clear, the Left Coast User's Group/DataCAD 30th Birthday came together and was a spectacular success.

The evening started off with James Horecka informing us that Kendrick Bang Kellogg was claiming not to be the architect for this particular Chart House contrary to information on the always accurate Internet. The building is still quite spectacular and has held up very well considering it’s 1970’s era construction date.

We had an absolutely post card day with views all the way to San Diego (about 60 miles)

DataCAD Left Coast User's Group 04-02-14 03 R.jpg
DataCAD Left Coast User's Group 04-02-14 03 R.jpg (88.83 KiB) Viewed 5316 times

A brief cocktail session before dinner. This was taken just before Jennifer and Mark arrived, much to everyone’s surprise.
I knew that they were going to be in the area on a personal vacation, and moved the date of the event to April 2nd just in case they decided to make the 1 hour drive north to join us.
Mark had told me about 2 weeks prior that they would not be able to make it, so I was blown away when I looked over and saw them.

DataCAD Left Coast User's Group 04-02-14 04R.jpg
DataCAD Left Coast User's Group 04-02-14 04R.jpg (89.07 KiB) Viewed 5316 times

There was not a formal agenda or program other than to share stories and twist Mark’s arm about wish list items, etc.

DataCAD Left Coast User's Group 04-02-14 05R.jpg
DataCAD Left Coast User's Group 04-02-14 05R.jpg (110.61 KiB) Viewed 5316 times

George Robertson wound up with a free lunch because his trip from Seattle was the longest by far – he took the Coast Starlight from Seattle which is 36 hours one way.
Jennifer and Mark were treated to dinner and cocktails for coming the furthest and surprising the heck out of all of us.
Bill Elder brought a geologist friend of his (Paul Stoffer) along to make sure the restaurant would not slide down the bluff.
Rod Jeheber won the latest arrival award (dang client meetings) which meant that he was stuck with the check. To avoid this “award”, he was also the first to depart.
Roger Wolff treated us all to wine made from his own vineyard in Napa. I am not a wine guy but the others were very impressed.
Bruce Chitea and I were reacquainted after 30 years – he gave me my first hands on demonstration and tutorial on DataCAD 2.5f in 1985.

Thanks to James Horecka for the excellent photos including the low-light group shots.
Carol Buehrens is writing up a more comprehensive summary of the evening.

The group photos and additional shots are available at:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qq8mgmqeruoblji/oUw5yqbdZ9

https://www.dropbox.com/s/95vaamrlpa8jdb0/DataCAD%20Left%20Coast%20Users%20Group%2004-02-14.pdf
#63752 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:16 am
Thanks for posting this - we got to see these pictures of the left coast meeting at the DBUG meeting last night. Mark Madura took pictures of the folks at that meeting, and I'm sure we'll see them soon.

It was great to see lots of faces to go along with familiar names!