Post off topic threads here.
#65090 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am
I've just been asked to be the architect of record to pull all the element together on an 8,800 sf manufacturing plant. It's basically a big open PEMB where some simple operations will occur. The city requires a third party inspector. I think the builder is talking about 2 different jobs. He says the job is all paperwork, no trips, I just need to make sure everyone has covered all the bases.
What kind of fee should I expect for this?
#65091 by MtnArch
Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:42 pm
What should you expect? To be paid way less than you should! What should they actually pay? WAY more than they think it's worth! Being A-of-R has you carrying the liability and that's worth a certain amount of money, regardless of the amount of work that appears to be required.

(but then you already knew this, didn't you Dwight?)
#65092 by DBrennfoerder
Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:13 pm
I usually get 5-6% for my work around here, and pay for engineering out of that (ouch). If all the engineering is already done, and I might only have to do a parking plan and an exit plan, plus pull all of the elements together for the 3rd party inspections and submit as required to the city. So the big question is: is 1% or 2% way too much for the work that might be involved? That could be $7-15K for a $700K building. He'd probably croak at that fee.
#65094 by MtnArch
Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:01 pm
He would croak at 1~2% for your fee but he wouldn't blink an eye at paying the GC 15~20% for their portion. Yup ... sounds about right!

I don't think a fee of 1.5%~2% sounds unreasonable, if you can get a limitation of liability and a very firm scope of work. Good luck!