Post off topic threads here.
#24175 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu May 17, 2007 9:37 am
Hello Guys,

Could you share updated informations for installing DataCAD in a Linux computer.

I've heard about a Linux flavour named Ubuntu, and would like to see if there is a chance to get DataCAD with a good behavior there.

Any information is welcome, including for other Linux versions.

TIA,
Miguel
#24185 by Neil Blanchard
Thu May 17, 2007 11:50 am
Hello Miguel,

I have used Ubuntu, and it is good.

On running DataCAD in Linux, AFAIK it is only possible to run DataCAD LT, because of lack of support for the hardlock driver. I used a program called CrossOver from a company called Code Weavers, that sets up a Windows environment within Linux, and it doesn't give access to the hardlock, unfortunately. Also, CrossOver only runs in 32bit Linux, and not the 64bit that I have currently.

Another route that I have not tried, that might work is to use VM Ware in Linux -- again, it allows you to actually install Windows inside of Linux. I believe that VM Ware is free, but I'm sure that setting it up would take some work.
#24188 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu May 17, 2007 2:00 pm
Good news, Neil.

I've searched on Aladdin website and observed that they make available Linux support for the hardlock, at least for some Linux flavours.

I'll try to dig some more to understand what's the real obstacle to get it running as we could expect.

Thanks,
Miguel
#24313 by George Robertson
Mon May 21, 2007 4:08 am
I tried this a long time back, maybe a couple of years ago. I bought and donated LT to the crew at Crossover to get their attention to it. I used an alpha release of a version of their product that they sent me which worked well enough to say it was promising. But it did not work well enough to really want to use it then. Codeweaver now supports running windows apps without windows on both Linux and the Unix based Apple OSX. They should have advanced a lot since then.
I would really prefer to run DataCAD in either Ubuntu or OSX. I suspect most of the world would also if they had the choice. We have all the hardware speed we can use these days and with quad processors in OSX machines plus separate graphics processors with the capability to run four 30" monitors and spread your screen over all of them, we are missing an opportunity.
I am going to test this again soon but it seems like you may be out in front of me. Please keep me up to date on how your research goes. If I get time to do anything on this I will share whatever I discover.
#24314 by Neil Blanchard
Mon May 21, 2007 5:59 am
Hello Miguel,

The Linux HL driver won't help -- since things are running in a Windows environment within Linux, it is the Crossover program that need to provide access to the LPT port or the USB ports for the Windows HL driver that you are installing as part of DataCAD.

Now some have said that you can run DataCAD (full version) with a Mac and Parallels Desktop, or certainly with Bootcamp.
#24326 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon May 21, 2007 8:30 am
Thank you Neil and George,

I've a meeting scheduled soon with a Linux expert, who may be able to contribute for this interesting research.

I'll keep you informed about it.

Thanks,
Miguel
#27977 by perryclark
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:03 am
I haven't tried dcad on WINE yet, but I'll make an attempt. For now, I use VMWARE Workstation 6 running on Fedora Core 7 AMD64. I have a USB key, Dcad V11.
#27982 by perryclark
Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:48 am
Seems to work duck marvelous. Haven't tested every function in there yet on a large model, but at first pass, it seems to be normal. I'll get into it a bit more over the next couple days. If you have a model you want me to check out with this setup, email me.

BTW, it's vmware running NT2000.
#27986 by Miguel Palaoro
Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:31 pm
jmorgan6 wrote:...three months later
...no good news.

Sorry John,

Actualy I have not left it back. At least not intentionally.
What happened at my end is that release of DataCAD 12 headed up to manual updates, translations, reference guide, training program updates, .... Ufff!
A lot of typing on keyboard.

I hope to spare some time ahead, and be able to retake my contacts over this frontier. If something new comes, promise to let you all know, immediately.

Thanks,
Miguel
#37202 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:36 am
Hello,

Here is an experience that a Linux user (Mr. Antero Junior) could make when installing DataCAD 12 Test Drive on an Ubuntu Linux distribution 7.10 using WINE.

Several error were reported at starting, but were all fixed downloading DLL's: OPENGL32.DLL and GLU32.DLL, and, at follow, updating WINE to version 1.0. Configuration of operational system was kept on WINE as WinXP.

Antero has a large experience with BricsCAD which runs this way. That software is made available with the installation package already configured to WINE.

The only apparent uncompatibility was a dragging track for cursor when panning, or moving and changing user view.
Here is an image with the cursor dragging traces:

If anyone is interested to know the error messages can download it from here:

http://www.datacad.com.br/down/sup-dc/linux/logs_from_wine.zip

Anybody would want to share an experience on this same route ?

Thanks,
Miguel
#37204 by Neil Blanchard
Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:55 am
Hi Miguel,

I had DataCAD 11 LT running in Linux, too. The key thing is the hardlock (no pun intended)! Getting WINE to "see" the hardlock is the place where running "regular" DataCAD fails. I don't think that WINE "exposes" things like the LPT or USB ports to the Windows programs.

Printing would be the next area to explore...

I will give the Test Drive a whirl in Ubuntu 8.04 tonight. What video card is that machine?
#37209 by Miguel Palaoro
Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:06 am
Neil Blanchard wrote:...Printing would be the next area to explore...

I will give the Test Drive a whirl in Ubuntu 8.04 tonight. What video card is that machine?

Hi Neil,

I'll try to get this information, and invite Antero to join us here, as well.

Thanks,
Miguel