What features would you like to see added to a future version of DataCAD?
#42795 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:34 pm
This is a biggie topic so I hope this can become an active discussion and others join in with ideas, and different view points. The idea is one I am sure is on the Datacad team's great big to do list at least at some level. This is based off of what is currently implemented as Symbol Attributes, and taking a bit from my time spent with SQL and Autodesk's Architectural Desktop. [Shivers] The principles are pretty much the same across the board. Put data in one place and have it, and corresponding data available to call from any number of other places. The idea which I would venture to guess like Datacad, comes from the idea of databases, and this is probably pretty close to what is envisioned for Symbol Attributes someday.

Currently with Symbol Attributes we can call values from hardset CSV or TXT files to fill in information within our symbols. While this is pretty clever and a step in the right direction, it is limiting in what can be done because of the following reasons:

• The symbol attributes must be contained within an unexploded symbol.
• The data can only be contained with in a static CSV/TXT file, which must be constantly & manually updated.
• Once the data is read from the CSV/TXT file, the data is not kept up to date with the database changes.

The big picture goal is to be able to read/write an "open" database, which can be accessed by multiple drawings by a single or multiple users. The database can be read/written to by Datacad or any compatible database enabled applications. All of this is basically "just" enabling true database connectivity within Datacad. The implementation of this data should be very similar to Symbol Attributes. I would guess it can use almost the same dialog box layout ideas. I think it could be done as the successor of Symbol Attributes. Instead of a component of a symbol, it could be a new entity type, for sake of this discussion, I'll just call them Attributes.

Once the ties to the database are created , how could they be used? Here are some ideas.
• The easiest guess would be Schedules. Being able to dynamically update quantities, quickly load fields by lookup from a live database is what the symbol attributes were probably destined for. Sheet schedules that auto fill with sheet numbers, and sheet names.
• External Applications could be used to perform complex math calculations which can write to a specific database location which that location can be read from by the drawings Attributes. If the math formula is updated, the output location, and the Attribute referencing that data is correctly updated in the drawing.
• Attributes could have hyperlinks to what applications can be used to edit the data for that specific attribute.
• Example: Create a Attribute called "Sheet Number" for each drawing sheet. "Sheet Number" looks up the Data from another Attribute in your sheet schedule. Now create a symbol for a detail tile. Within the symbol you have Attributes called "Detail Name", "Detail Number", & "Sheet Number" of a detail cut with an attribute that prompts you to lookup the sheet this detail is going to be located on from the drawings database for the first field, and then lookup the detail number from those available on that sheet. If the original attribute (master attribute) in the sheet schedule is updated, it could prompt the user asking if Datacad should update all the corresponding attributes that point to the master attribute which was just updated or not. It would change the actual sheets number, and any detail cuts pointing to that sheets master attribute.

Support Requirements Brainstorm
• Enabling something like this would require that there is some type of engine to access the information. ODBC, BDE/SQL?, Delphi specific engine?
• Access to shared files which could be created by Datacad or a compatible application. The database should probably be external, not contained within the drawing file.
• There could also be a single internal drawing database (separate from main drawing database) for file specific data fields. Should be exportable to a compatible external database format. And tagged fro round tripping.
• Data being read from a external database should have an option to be converted to simple text up on exporting a file.
• Attributes need to be able to be supported probably via stamps within M/Ptext. From with in the editors Attributes could act similar to how date stamps work with in M/Ptext.

Would love to hear other ideas & thoughts :!:
Thanks for the room to breath :wink:
#42796 by joshhuggins
Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm
Other misc ideas to be added/edited from here.....
#42886 by ORWoody
Tue May 05, 2009 9:27 am
This is a difficult concept for me to see how I could work with it, even though it seems to be a great idea. For some reason, I seem to work exactly backwards from this and suffer because of it.
The lines go down and then get fleshed out later. For example, I draw windows in plan and the closest that I could get might be that they'll be single hung. Later, the client might request divided glass, and then still later, add the requirement for vinyl. The look on the plan remains the same, but the depth of the requirements differ.
I'd think that if I could mentally link the first drawing concept to something and then pile it on later (much like replacing symbols), the end results would be much more useful than they are for me now.
Instead of manually counting and rechecking, a constant database would be so nice.
You've hit a homer here, Josh.
#44449 by Greg Smith
Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:03 pm
Josh,
I have been playing around with the attributes and realizing that there is an enormous potential here as well. If the attributes could be pushed and pulled to and from a database file all kinds of possibilities open up. It seems that the ability is there in DataCAD.
One big one for me is that we manage lease space for a number of clients with large rentable portfolios. Having the SF data generated from the "Blocker" Macro such as "Room No", "Room Name" and "Square footage" dynamically tied to a database would be extraordinary. We could generate dynamic BOMA Calcs, prepare Lease Rosters etc. Prepare move scenarios with various options of SF available. With data being able to be sent in both directions dynamically.

Also having the ability to create data forms and manage the forms within Datacad would be helpfull as well. This way we could query all spaces that were under 1000 sf and sort them by date of lease expiration etc. and have them displayed in a fill color or hatch pattern. This added feature and control would allow us to generate income by leveraging the power that is already in DataCAD.
#44460 by Miguel Palaoro
Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:42 pm
#46393 by Miguel Palaoro
Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:24 am
Hi Josh,

This kind of extracted data could help to enhance the drawings composition and automation, without requiring a lot of programming skils:

A kind of composition could be enhanced as a stamp (one of our less enlighted features) and be saved as a symbol to be replicated elsewhere in the drawings.

Thanks,
Miguel