Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#11352 by Greg Blandin
Wed May 03, 2006 2:10 pm
I have a file I open and when I make a change and go to save it wants to do a saveas.

No one else has it open. No reason for it to do this.

Anyone have a similar experience?
#11357 by Greg Blandin
Wed May 03, 2006 4:08 pm
nope and nope....all is fine...must be a defect in the file.

probably should send it into tech support for them to look at.
#11358 by joe
Wed May 03, 2006 4:50 pm
are you on a Novell network? If you use Novell client for windows to connect to your server, you will need verson 4.91.

We had the same problem here a while back.
#11359 by joshhuggins
Wed May 03, 2006 5:02 pm
I have noticed this quite a bit lately. They only difference is that recently and more than usual, we have had multiple people opening files at the same time. One thing to note is that we are accessing the files using the same path G:\ mapped from \\computer\folder\drawings, but one is on a domain and two are using a workgroup. I usually just ask them if they are in the file in question. 98% of the time say no. I then do a save as, close Datacad, empty the temp dir., delete the old file, rename the save as file back to the original name, open the file, fix any messed up xref/bitmap paths and save again. Kind of a pain. Seems to happen about once ever other day or so. The frequency does seem to correspond with the number of "open as copy" drawings are opened. I will forward this to the tech guys.

Edit: The domain is running on SBS2003, for what it's worth.
#11363 by joshhuggins
Wed May 03, 2006 6:59 pm
Other than the possibillity that that is causing this save as issue, it works great (with XP that is). The reason for it is our company has been in some serious tech reconstruction the last year. Our Arch. dept. became a seperate workgroup untill they got everything working smooth. Our workgroup members use our User Credintials setup on the server that allowed us to "login" to the server to use the domain's features we needed. I moved to the domain about a month ago and have been testing & configuring the security & other areas with our IT dept.
#11368 by Greg Blandin
Thu May 04, 2006 8:29 am
I believe we are on Windows Server. No novell.

I was the only one in the drawing.

Another person in the office opened the file today and the same thing happened.

Getting frusterated.
#11369 by Paul Nida
Thu May 04, 2006 8:53 am
Just a guess, but have you checked to see if the file is write protected?
#11373 by joshhuggins
Thu May 04, 2006 11:10 am
Not write protected here.
#11375 by devinder
Thu May 04, 2006 12:30 pm
If this happens again, after you perform File-SaveAs command, open the original files .u$r file using Notepad and check the contents. Eg. If I open the file at 1:33pm on my computer the following information is recorded into the u$r file.

Time opened=01:33:14 PM
;This should be same as when the file is opened.

Date opened=5/4/2006
;Date when file was opened

User name=DEVINDER
;This should be your login user name

Workstation name=DEVINDER
; Computer name you are working on.

If any of the entry you think is different from the time/place you opened the file, then the information should tell who was able to open the file.

if u$r does not exist let us know.
#11401 by Greg Blandin
Fri May 05, 2006 1:34 pm
I went into the drawings today to check to see if it was still doing it and it does not happen any longer.

If it does happen again I know I'll do what devinder suggested.

Thanks to all!

Greg
#11403 by joshhuggins
Fri May 05, 2006 1:37 pm
From a post I made to the Debugging team. Might help you guys avoid some problems for now till we figure this one out.

From a post I found while looking for the error below:
Neil Blanchard wrote:Hello,

I just got an error when I tried to Save All -- it said it could not save, and prompted me to save it locally. I think this might have been caused by Second Copy 2000, which was running a backup in the background. It runs on my computer, though the files that are backed up are on Larry's computer.

This has happened to me before, and it is not too bad -- if I do the Save All a second time, it works fine. It just seems like a case of bad timing -- is there anything that DataCAD can do to avoid it?

I also just received a an error warning: "Attention! - Recovery file present. 4049 was not closed properly, Datacad will now recover the most recent version of this file" I checked my recovery and temp folder and had no bad files. I went and checked the computer of my co-worker, and she had had the file open all day, but no recovery files to be found. She had left it open for quite a while when I had tried to open it. I then checked the u$r file and it showed that I was the user, not here. I had already allowed it to recover the file, so it did disassociate her from the file, which caused the save as issue. She also said she was getting the save as error a lot today while in a different file she had open all day. It seems to be related to multiple auto-saves with no user intervention between them, and that's causing the u$r file to loose their status somehow and then the new user taking control of the u$r file. I think I can test this out tomorrow night by setting the autosave time down, open the file on the first system, allow it to sit there until it does multiple auto-saves then try to open the the file and see what happens. I try to remember to set this up.