Post off topic threads here.
#28086 by WK3
Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:35 am
The Masachusetts single and two family dwelling code includes the 4" raised sill. 780 CMR 5309 5309.1. Based on the 2003 ICC International Residential Code with Massachusetts modifications.
#28095 by David Porter
Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:31 am
And, the foundation of the ICC, IBC, and IRC was to unify "a" code for the entire nation. Fat chance that that happened. I am licensed in 22 states and I know that there is a NY IRC, a NJ IRC, Florida has its version of a heavily modified IRC, a NC IRC, a MD IRC, etc. All that the unification process seemed to do was take 3 national, unmodified and uncustomized codes (UBC, BOCA, SBC) and turn them into 50 different, customized IBC and IRC codes.

Moving backwards is always so much fun.
#28102 by Brian Engebretson
Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:53 pm
David Porter wrote:And, the foundation of the ICC, IBC, and IRC was to unify "a" code for the entire nation. Fat chance that that happened. I am licensed in 22 states and I know that there is a NY IRC, a NJ IRC, Florida has its version of a heavily modified IRC, a NC IRC, a MD IRC, etc. All that the unification process seemed to do was take 3 national, unmodified and uncustomized codes (UBC, BOCA, SBC) and turn them into 50 different, customized IBC and IRC codes.

Moving backwards is always so much fun.

Luckily, I only need to deal with one state, but we often get different interpretations from different cities! I can’t imagine trying to build in multiple states. It’s a mess.
#54328 by WK3
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:16 am
Does anyone know if the requirement for the 4" curb exists in Massachusetts?
#54330 by David Porter
Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:29 am
You can download a free PDF of the MA Residential Code at http://bulk.resource.org/codes.gov/ma_r ... l_2011.pdf.

For decades, BOCA and other national codes had the 4" step-down requirement from a house to a garage. Then came along the ICC and the IRC and it got rid of that requirement. Below, I have pasted the 2011 MA IRC dealing with garages. It has no mention about any step-down required from the house to the garage. I think they goofed by getting rid of that requirement but it is now minimum code to allow for no step from the house to the garage.
Attachments
Garage floors.png
Garage floors.png (131.3 KiB) Viewed 11698 times
#54348 by Nick Pyner
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:25 pm
Tony Blasio wrote: It will then slope to a floor drain in the middle of the garage.

I think the architect should have a very close conversation with the plumber about that.

I didn't know that garage floors are stepped down to catch fumes, and I'm not even sure it is true - or well-founded in science.

It is common practice hereabouts to include a small drop in the slab and I would routinely do it. This is simply to ensure that the floor can be hosed down without the risk of getting the carpet wet in the hall next door, or reduce the likelihood of dust etc. blowing through. This is as much a default situation as much as anything else.

This would eliminate the need for a ramp but I just want to make sure.

You may find that the ramp isn't a problem anyway. By local standards, a ramp with a rise less than 200 isn't a ramp. Ergo, whatever you need to do to handle a 100 drop may well be trumped by the doorswing anyway.
Last edited by Nick Pyner on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
#54349 by MtnArch
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:43 pm
I normally start at the "high" side of the garage (opposite the garage door) with a 3.5" drop (a 2x4 for us in the US) below FF ending with a 5.5" drop (a 2x6) at the garage door. Easy for the foundation sub to do, good slope on the garage floor for any water to drain without causing too many other "rolling" problems, and guaranteed water stop when the garage is inevitably hosed out. If you keep the surrounding garage stem wall top at the FF level, you don't have to change plate heights - though you'll have to check your garage door height against what the bottom of your garage door header height is.
#54385 by MtnArch
Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:17 am
Back when I was a young (hand) drafter we always put in low wall vents in the garage that we labeled as "Suicide Vents" - but I rarely see anyone put them in, even if I call them out on the plans.