:arrow: A tale of two CADs or Josh's Autocad Affliction
:?: Josh's Autocad Questions
:idea: Josh's Autocad Wishlist

Josh's Autocad Comments
:arrow: Comments still to come....

Messy Notes
comments
- distance input
- little display glitches - just about as many relative to the number of features and hardware driven display
- overlapping lines at a distance, ghosting cursors
- can't change layer, color, linetype while creating entities
- pline edit - inserting points having to use next for location
- each layer doesn't seem to remember it's last linetype, color and spacing. global by layer only?
- can't undo without undoing intelipan? works ok for a single command if your going to repat the same command but personally i don't use it this way. i usually undo to do a different command or to undo several steps.
- quick keys customized would probably work as good but not $$$$ better
- $ is cost of file conversion, amount of conversion issues between versions same if not more than the effort between datacad to autocad, even when just between back to back versions.
- high end external rendering package still extra req. but built in rendering supports higher polygons count a lot better.
- shaded textured views would be cool now with new 3d cursor system getting closer
- a better brake?
- get x/y better than implied because you can pan around a drawing rather than dashed line implied which is lost quickly
- fillet only runs once per command, lame
- if you start a selection in one screen but intelipan to where the start point of the selection is off the screen your selection is cut from the edge of the screen. must be a setting.
- to highlight xref, open layer manager, select xref, then apply layer colors. but your actually changing the layers color, with no way to return to original state?
- xrefs add there own layers to main drawing by adding file name prefix. gives direct access to turn on/off, freez/thaw, lock/unlock, but not color change?
- can show only layer for xrefs via layer manager.
- first time draw slow like ???
- stretch and other? commands one time only
- can't undo, copy to clipboard and then redo.
- undo undoes everything, including previous distances
- xrefs only can have one instance in a drawing so if you insert an xref into a drawing which has a nested xref first as an overlay, and then insert a direct xref of the file which is nested in the first xref, you cannot attach your 2nd direct xref because it must obey the parent xrefs overlay settings, can cause a big mess with trailing xrefs.
- no self xrefs!
- when using selection box and do intelipan, goes wonky sometimes.
- having xref layer management in the ref manager is better imho vs in layer manager
- pro or con? moving a pline vertex over another vertex merges to one point. maybe a toggle in pline edit?
- change match properties, undo undoes all changes at once vs each selection.
- moving dim text has no display, just grip
Last edited by joshhuggins on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
#30583 by David A. Giesselman
Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:46 pm
Hi Josh:

First of all, it's truly great to see you back on the forum. You are sorely missed! Secondly, I sincerely hope that your transition and new adventures are proving themselves worthy or your talent and passion. I wish you only the best in this new chapter of your life and career. I just know that you will persevere, succeed and try to pass along your CAD knowledge to the betterment of your new co-workers. Lastly, I look forward with enormous anticipation your thoughts and experiences as you find your way through this transitional time. I will be learning much (I hope) about ADT vicariously through you. Your time spent relating any joys and/or frustrations are truly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Dave
#30585 by David Porter
Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:51 pm
We just have to hope that Robert Novak doesn't "out" Josh as our secret little spy covertly positioned at AutoCad Central. ;-)
#30590 by wolverine
Sun Dec 02, 2007 2:01 pm
Josh,
Thanks for posting on your Autocad experiences. Similarly, I too have been called to do Autocad work. I am very reluctant at this point, have been using Datacad since the dos days, I think v.3. I used Autocad in 1984 or 1985, and haven't touched it since so it's been awhile. My main job is using whatever software I wish (which is of course Datacad). However, I have been heavliy recruited to do some very interesting projects which would require the use of Autocad exclusively to create the construction drawings. So far it has been a no go from me, but if other jobs dry up I may be forced to switch at some point (hope not to). Anyway, your experiences with ADT will be appreciated, and helpful to many I'm sure. Good luck to you in your newest job.
#30701 by marykadlubowski
Wed Dec 05, 2007 1:01 pm
Josh,

I am in the very same position, I will have to use autocad for a short term consulting job. I will be watching your experiences closely, and will offer anything I learn too. I am loading the program tonight and doing my first site visit measure up on Friday. I haven't really used autocad since v14, if it gets too slow, I'll have to Datacad it and then painfully recreate in autocad. Any one know of a place to research all the fun and interesting quirks in translation?

mary ep k