Ask questions about DataCAD 20, DataCAD LT 20, or previous versions here.
#3187 by Chuck Plaisted
Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:52 am
Hi Guys,

The middle button (scroll Wheel) doesn't function in DataCAD as the object snap that I am sooo used to having.

What can I do to get this functionality back?

I have a KVM box, I have SetPoint installed,,,

Thanks for any help!
#3195 by Neil Blanchard
Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:11 pm
Hello Chuck:

I'm guessing that the KVM is your problem -- many of them only support a three button mouse. While you are toggled to the other computer, the KVM has to "hold the place" of the mouse, and it then that the other buttons lose their functions.

The only work around that I have found is to get a second mouse and use the switch as a KV switch only. Or, if you can find another KVM that specifically supports more buttons...
#3200 by Steve Clark
Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:18 pm
Hi,
I don't know if this has any relationship, but I cannot get my thumb button on a 4 button mouse,old Logitech mouseman wheel, to double click. It works for all other apps except DataCAD 10 and 11 - both latest updates. It used to work inside menus in previous versions. Is it possible I need a driver upgrade that does not exist?

Steve Clark
#3211 by Chuck Plaisted
Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:40 am
Hi Guys,

Thanks for your help, Neil! I reconnected the old MX-700 mouse and the middle button again works for object snapping.

I went to BlackBox.com to look at KVM boxes, and don't they have a lot to choose from? Without talking to the Tech Reps, I didn't see any that would especially solve the MX-1000 problem.

While I was there, I was checking out a KVM box that could handle double monitors and a DVI input. The prices started at $1,800 or so,I was expecting something in the neighborhood of about $200-$300.

Do have any other sources for KVM boxes that might be more affordable?
#7815 by conn
Fri Nov 18, 2005 2:18 pm
I assume you installed the latest Setpoint software for the MX 1000. If not you need to have Setpoint inorder to get full functionality of the mouse. On the mouse button settings tab there is a radio dial or check box for other. Next to it is a button that says Select Function. It opens a dialog the lets you set it to middle mouse button.
#7992 by Ted B
Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:56 pm
Damn, I was all set to buy one. I'm tired of replacing the batteries every two weeks in my Kensington mouse, and the local Staples has the MX-1000's for $40-bucks after rebate.

Is it just a motherboard/box problem? Or are they buggy regardless? I run a Gateway Athlon-600 using the mouse-port adapter.

When I bought the Optical PilotMouse, the batteries lasted 6-weeks. Now they barely last 2-weeks. and the effective range has decreased by at-least 50%. Why that should change over the course of 2-years I have no idea.
#7997 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:55 am
Ted B wrote:When I bought the Optical PilotMouse, the batteries lasted 6-weeks. Now they barely last 2-weeks. and the effective range has decreased by at-least 50%. Why that should change over the course of 2-years I have no idea.

The batteries are probably NiCd ? They probably loosing their storage capacity and strength, which is pretty standard of that type of battery. If they are NiMH then is could be a hardware issue, but most likely it's a battery issue. You might be able to pick up a better rechargeable NIMH set for it.
#7998 by Ted B
Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:05 pm
No, I'm using new, fresh name-brand standard AA-batteries each time. They are eating me out of house-and-home, that's why I was interested in a rechargable mouse. At $40., the MX-1000 is about what a rechargable AA battery set-up runs at the local Home Depot.

Maybe I should take the batteries out at night.
#7999 by Martell
Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:11 pm
Hello Chuck,
Install the latest SetPoint Software.
Enter the SetPoint Software.
Enter "Own Mice" (I dont know the English text)
Set key 9 and 10 to middle mousekey with "Other".
Now you can snap with the middle mouse in DataCAD.
Logitech SetPoint Software is bullsh...
I got the same problems....

Martell
#8001 by Dick Eades
Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:19 pm
Ted B,

Unless you're running it through a KVM switch, there's no reason not to buy the MX1000. It's an excellent performer and the buttons are programmable. I have my snap set to the button in front of the scroll wheel because I didn't like the pressure required to get the scroll wheel to snap. I also set a thumb button to CTRL+ALT so I can do dynamic panning with just the mouse. My only problem with this mouse is forgetting to put it on the charger when the batteries are running low, so I have a second optical mouse on standby for those occasions.
#8004 by joshhuggins
Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:01 pm
Ted B wrote:No, I'm using new, fresh name-brand standard AA-batteries each time. They are eating me out of house-and-home, that's why I was interested in a rechargeable mouse. At $40., the MX-1000 is about what a rechargeable AA battery set-up runs at the local Home Depot.

Maybe I should take the batteries out at night.

Hmm I looked up Kensington Optical Pilot Mouse and it showed that it had rechargeable batteries. You must have an older version maybe? Any way, yeah it's probably time for an upgrade if your dumping money into batteries every other week. I've been using Logitech's cordless Mouseman optical for about 3-4 years or so and it uses AA. I just have two sets of rechargeable batteries that I swap in and out. It's more than paid for itself by now. They last at least a month or so with 8+ hours or use per day.

I had some newer mice that had a built in battery and desktop charger, but like Dick mentioned, if I forgot to charge it there was no way to swap some fresh batteries in which puts a crimp in the day and was just a hasslel.
#8069 by fsoliver
Fri Dec 02, 2005 11:46 am
I have just purchased a Logitech MX610. It is smooth and quick but I can't get the scroll wheel to act as the middle mouse button in DataCAD. I do have SetPoint software loaded and have gone through all the methods that I have read here. I can get other buttons to act as a middle mouse button but not the scroll wheel. Has anyone solved this one?
#8074 by Martell
Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:24 pm
Can you show a picture of your SetPoint software how to configure the mouse? I my version the snap only works if you set 9 and 10 to middle mouse (with the point "Other").

Martell
#8077 by fsoliver
Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:41 pm
OK, I got it. On the MX610 there is a scroll and a left and right scroll in the SnapPoint setup. you have to set all three as middle button under other to get it to work in DataCAD.
#8078 by Martell
Fri Dec 02, 2005 12:44 pm
Well, this is what I mean. It is bullsh.. that you can only set one function to this button. So it is sinceless to get left and right. However. The keyboard and the mouse is very well.

Martell